Tuesday, September 7, 2010

We're mad as hell

Funny, on the internet, how this happens. How did I find this post, which was a speech delivered in France more than a week ago? Because I have a friend who I sincerely respect, who on occasion I check in with, although I'm in Colorado and he's in West Virginia, and I'm in media and he's in academia and somewhere on his page, not high up, but somewhere he had this link that I followed and shazam here it is. You can feel that you are part of a group of people worldwide communicating in a new language. Beautiful.

You are going to have to do a little bit of work here. You need to go to Jay Rosen's blog -- http://jayrosen.posterous.com/ -- and search Sept. 6, 2010. That's where you will find "The Journalists formerly known as the Media: My advice to the next generation." You will also find embedded in that blog the famous scene from the movie NETWORK where Howard Beale tells the world on TV and inspires the world to be liberated from TV with "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore."

This is Jay Rosen's speech to a group of incoming French journalism students.

No comments:

Post a Comment