Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ah-ha moment

Eduguide has a wonderful definition of an ah-ha moment.
"Experiencing an 'Ah-ha' moment can be unique and special for each individual. It's a point in time when one realizes something for the first time. Perhaps solving a personal problem or finding the answer to something that has been very troubling.

"When an 'Ah-ha' moment occurs, it is usually accompanied with satisfaction, joy, or a sense of accomplishment. Look for those special moments; they are wonderful and will be remembered for a long time.

"When an 'Ah-ha' moment happens, you will know that something special is about to happen for you."

(You can check this out yourself at http://www.eduguide.org/Parents-Library/An-Ah-ha-Moment-Turning-Points-in-Learning-127.aspx.)

That's why when people ask me to describe Presonalize Media I say it is media that create ah-ha moments. That's what all media strives to do, but media is more likely if to succeed if guided by personal input.

Conversely as more and more people understand what Personalize Media is all about, hopefully I will collect ah-ha moments from more and more people.

This was MY first ah-ha moment: When I was 19 I began to plan to drop my college deferment after receiving a Draft Number of 15, which meant I would surely be drafted to the Vietnam War the minute I graduated in 1973. However, I read an article that Thanksgiving in the New York Times that said there would be no more soldiers called up that fall, so I immediately dropped the deferment, passed my physical and waited. Sure enough no one was called up that fall of 1970, and by Jan. 1 1971, my name was at the bottom of the list and I was never drafted. Reading that article in the New York Times was my ah-ha moment. And it changed my life, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment